MITIGATING COVID-19 TOGETHER
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has declared the outbreak of COVID-19 a national state of disaster. With early intervention vital, he announced a range of extraordinary interventions by the government and called on all South Africans to fight the spread of the coronavirus together. Samancor Chrome has implemented strict health and safety safeguards to prevent the spread of COVID-19 during the lock down period, and we have increased preventative efforts by implementing awareness communication and information sharing.
Our SHEQ policies and health protocols are informed and aligned to the NICD, the DOH and WHO, as well as with the Mineral Council. Please visit the COVID-19 Corona Virus South African Resource Portal for more information.
Access to Environmental Documentation
As per legislative requirements in the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations, 2014 and the Financial Provisioning Regulations, 2015; we have documentation which is accessible to the public upon request from the communications officer for the following business units:
Eastern Chrome Mines
North Eastern Chrome Mines
Western Chrome Mines
If you require access to these specified documents, please contact the SHEQ Administrator on the following contact details:
Fatal Risk Control Protocol (FRCP) Protocol Manual
Striving for Zero Harm to our People and our Environment
Samancor Chrome, as is common with all mining and mineral processing operations in South Africa, is subject to numerous laws, regulations, permits, licenses and other conditions that are designed to protect worker health and safety and the environment.
Samancor Chrome’s Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) policies, standards and procedures, exceed the statutory minimum levels of protection in line with the organisation’s strong commitment towards worker safety, protection of public health, welfare and the environment.
A top to bottom approach to SHEQ responsibility has resulted in Samancor Chrome constantly driving its leading SHEQ performance towards the ideal of achieving a state ‘Zero Harm’. This is at the core of the company’s SHEQ policy and related initiatives, which apply to our people, contractors and suppliers, visitors to any of Samancor Chrome’s sites and the broader community in general.
As such, the SHEQ Policy Statement declares:
As a major producer of chrome ore and ferrochrome products, Samancor Chrome is committed to:
- Striving to produce a product that consistently meets internal and external customer requirements.
- Actively protecting and maintaining the Health and Safety of persons working for and on behalf of the organisation, as well as the community that surrounds us from activity-related risks, as far as reasonably practicable.
- Actively protecting the surrounding environment in which we operate from those impacts that may arise as a result of our operations and applying the principle of sustainable management in all our operational activities.
This commitment will be achieved by:
- Ensuring that this policy is promoted and applied within the organisation and is made available to interested parties.
- Developing a SHEQ culture by improving our employees and contractors’ SHEQ awareness and skills and keeping them accountable for all SHEQ performance aspects in their respective areas.
- Committing to comply with all applicable South African SHEQ legislation, Codes of Practice and guidelines, other legislation and organisational standards.
- Ensuring that all SHEQ risks and impacts are identified, evaluated and controlled according to a well maintained SHEQ Management Plan.
- Setting and reviewing of objectives and targets for continuous improvement in SHEQ performance, legal compliance targets and by supporting operational excellence initiatives.
- Monitoring and measuring effectiveness of SHEQ performance by conducting regular audits, reviews and providing appropriate resources to implement this policy.
- Committing to apply the best practical environmental options to prevent pollution and to protect the environment, biodiversity and ecosystems.
- Planning, designing, operating and closing operations in a manner that promotes sustainable development.
- Engaging and communicating with communities, with due regard and respect for local interests, cultures and customs.
- Contributing meaningfully to the economic, social and educational wellbeing of communities in which we operate.
- Reviewing this policy annually in order to ensure its continued relevance.